Top Five Benefits of Counselling
There are many reasons why people don’t generally seek clinical counselling. Many people often think that receiving counselling services is a sign of weakness. They believe that they can overcome challenges and keep pushing through if they simply try harder.
Nothing could be further from the truth. It takes a lot of strength to admit you might need help and a lot of courage to open up and be vulnerable to someone else.
But, believe it or not, taking that step toward vulnerability is worth it. There are proven benefits of counselling that we will examine here. These are our top five:
- Counselling provides a safe space – Have you made some choices that may have caused adverse effects in your life? Naturally, you’re hesitant to share these choices because you feel that people may judge you harshly. Empathetic counsellors work hard to create a non-judgmental, safe place for clients to share their deepest concerns. And in that safe place, you can work through those concerns at your own pace. That way, you can come to a better understanding of both your challenges and solutions.
- Counselling helps change behaviors and habits – Do you find yourself stuck in behaviors that seem to keep you from a fulfilling life? Counselling holds up a mirror that can help you become aware of your attitudes, thoughts, and emotions that lead to self-defeating patterns. Once you are aware, you can make a plan to break those patterns and change your life’s path.
- Counselling fosters emotional wellness – When dealing with depression and anxiety, regulating your emotions is essential. Identifying your trigger points and discovering healthy ways of expressing feelings is vital. Counselling allows you space to vent and deescalate negative emotions, fostering a more healthy way of living.
- Counselling builds self-esteem – It’s very human to question your abilities. Insecurities in our appearance, personality, and skills are familiar to everyone. A counselling clinic is where you can learn to accept your imperfections and embrace your strengths. With acceptance comes so much more self-compassion and love. You deserve that.
- Counselling provides encouragement and hope – When you struggle with depression and anxiety, your motivation and positivity can suffer. Having a caring listener there to provide positive feedback and encouragement can make a huge difference in your recovery. When you can’t see all the steps forward you’ve made, mental health counsellors are there to shed light on them for you. And that can be a real motivator to keep going.
Counsellors work with clients to help them experience self-discovery and practice the skills they need to go out into the world and make lasting changes in their lives.
At Lynn Valley Counselling, we work collaboratively with our clients, equipping them with the tools they need to reach personal goals. We are a committed team of Registered Clinical Counsellors and Canadian Certified Counsellors. We are a North Vancouver Counselling team, here for you in a safe, non-judgmental space.
Call us today for a free consultation.